How to Apply for a State Job
Obtaining employment with the High-Speed Rail Authority involves a competitive testing and application process that consists of two key phases:
PHASE I: The Examination Process
If you’re new to employment with the State of California, you must pass an open examination before applying for job openings. Follow these steps below to complete the examination process.
- Search for an Exam – You may only apply for exams designated as "open" if you’re new to State employment. Browse current open exams: http://jobs.ca.gov/.
- Apply for an Exam – Review the exam bulletin and determine if you meet all the criteria, including the minimum qualifications and location. Once you’ve determined you meet the stated criteria, apply for the exam by completing the Standard State Application (https://forms.spb.ca.gov/employment/index.cfm). Refer to the exam bulletin to determine the preferred method of applying for the exam.
- Prepare for the Exam – The exam bulletin indicates the types of testing used for the exam. This may include written tests, structured (oral) interviews, supplemental applications, education and experience, or Internet exam. Review the “Examination Information” section to find what type of test will be used and how the test will be scored. Read the “Examination Scope” section to determine what knowledge, skills, and abilities may be tested.
- After the Exam – Successful exam candidates are placed on an employment list and can start applying for job openings in the classification for which they have tested. State eligible lists are divided into ranks by score. Only candidates in the top three ranks are immediately eligible for appointment. Use the eligible list disclosure tool to monitor your list eligibility: https://jobs.ca.gov/Public/DisclosureSearch.aspx
PHASE II: The Job Opening Process
Apply for a Job Opening – Once you’re on an employment list, you may start receiving contact letters from departments recruiting for classifications you tested in. You can browse current Authority’s job openings and apply for them. After you apply for a job, you may be offered an interview. Interviews are designed to identify the best candidate for that specific job opening.For more information about the exam and hiring process, visit the California Department of Human Resources website: http://jobs.ca.gov/
- How to Apply for a State Job
- Authority Job Classifications
- Current Job Openings
- Career Executive Assignment (CEA) and Exempt Job Openings
- State Application
- Compensation and Benefits
- Limited Examination and Appointment Program (LEAP)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- CalHR Career Mobility Resources
- Community Benefits Agreement
- Contact Us