Public Records Act Request
The California Constitution and the California Public Records Act (Government Code §6250 et. seq.) stipulate that members of the public have a right to inspect records maintained by state government, including the California High-Speed Rail Authority (Authority). Public records maintained by the Authority are available for public inspection according to the guidelines below.
These guidelines shall be posted in a conspicuous place in all Authority offices.
The Authority encourages written requests submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To send a written request via postal mail:
California High-Speed Rail Authority
Marie Hoffman/Public Records Officer
770 L Street, Suite 620 MS1
Sacramento, CA, 95814
- Written requests should include details that will enable staff to identify and locate the requested records. The request should include a telephone number where you can be reached to discuss the request if we need additional information to locate records for you.
- Within 10 days from the date the request is received, the Authority will make a determination on the request and will notify the requester of its decision. If the determination cannot be made within 10 days due to unusual circumstances as defined in Government Code section 6253.1, the Authority will notify the requesting person of the reasons for the delay and the date when the determination will be issued. No such notice shall specify a date that results in an extension of more than 14 days.
The Legislature has established certain categories of records which may be exempt from public disclosure.
Note: the following list are examples, the full list of exemptions is codified in Government Code § 6254 et. seq.
- Preliminary drafts, notes, or inter-agency or intra-agency memoranda which are not retained by the Authority in the ordinary course of business, provided that the public interest in withholding such records clearly outweighs the public interest in disclosure.
- Records pertaining to pending litigation to which the Authority is a party, or to claims made pursuant to Division 3.6 (commencing with Section 810) until such litigation or claim has been finally adjudicated or otherwise settled.
- Personnel, medical, or similar files, the disclosure of which would constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy;
- Geological and geophysical data, plant production data and similar information relating to utility systems development, or market or crop reports, which are obtained in confidence from any person;
- Records of complaints or investigations conducted by the Authority for law enforcement or licensing purposes;
- Test questions, scoring keys, and other examination data used to administer a licensing examination, examination for employment, or academic examination.
- Records of which the disclosure is exempt or prohibited pursuant to provisions of federal or state law, including, but not limited to, provisions of the Evidence Code relating to privilege.
- Correspondence of and to the Governor or employees of the Governor's Office or in the custody of or maintained by the Governor's legal affairs secretary.
Public records maintained by the Authority are available for inspection during the regular business hours of the Authority. The Authority is entitled to a reasonable period of time to locate the records if not readily accessible and to determine whether they must first be reviewed, and possibly redacted, in order to protect confidential or other exempt material from improper disclosure. To schedule an appointment to view records, please contact Marie Hoffman at (916) 431-2934.
Upon any request for a physical copy of records, Authority personnel shall provide copies of the records only upon payment of a fee covering the direct costs of duplication. This requirement may be waived where the cost is minimal. There is no charge for the mere inspection of records.
- January 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Report
- February 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Report
- March 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Report
- April 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Report
- May 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Reports
- June 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Reports
- July 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Reports
- August 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Reports
- September 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Reports
- October 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Report
- November 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Report
- December 2016 Public Records Act Monthly Program Summary Report
- Business Plans
- Doing Business with High-Speed Rail
- Funding & Finance
- Legislative Affairs
- Public Records Act
- Ridership & Revenue
- Contact Us
Public Records Officer
770 L Street, Suite 620 MS 1
Sacramento, CA 95814