Bakersfield to Palmdale
The Bakersfield to Palmdale project section connects the Central Valley to the Antelope Valley, closing the existing passenger rail gap over the Tehachapi Mountains. The approximately 80-mile corridor travels through or near the cities of Edison, Tehachapi, Rosamond, Lancaster and Palmdale with proposed stations in Bakersfield and at the Palmdale Transportation Center. The project section will span the Tehachapi Mountains with a new modern rail line that closes the current passenger rail gap between Central and Southern California.
- Provides a new link between Central and Southern California and the statewide transportation network.
- Connects Bakersfield and Palmdale with an approximately 25-minute high-speed rail trip.
- Crosses some of the most complicated terrain along the statewide system, requiring innovative engineering.
- Uses next-generation signaling technology (Positive Train Control, intrusion barriers and warning system, earthquake early warning, and more) to enhance performance while reducing pollution.
On February 28, 2020, the California High-Speed Rail Authority (Authority) announced the availability of the Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section Draft Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement (Draft EIR/EIS), pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). The Draft EIR/EIS will be made available for a minimum 45-day comment period. To access the Draft EIR/EIS or learn more about its purpose, please navigate to the following link: https://www.hsr.ca.gov/programs/environmental/eis_eir/draft_bakersfield_palmdale.aspx
The Authority is committed to planning and building a premier high-speed rail system that will keep the traveling public and surrounding communities moving and safe. We are working to develop and deliver the program through effective engagements with local communities, a process that involves nourishing long-term relationships with residents, stakeholders and policymakers. The goal is to foster and encourage community engagement throughout the organization in all aspect of construction and operations.
In conducting outreach events, such as Open House and Community Working Group meetings, the Authority informs the public about all aspects of the program, including the presentation of specific project section plans and key milestones contributing to the first phase of the high-speed rail system.
For a listing of upcoming events and outreach opportunities in your area visit the Events page.
The State of California and the federal government both require a proposed infrastructure project to undergo an extensive assessment of the project's potential impacts on the environment - land, air, water, minerals, plants, animals and noise - and proposed actions to avoid or mitigate those impacts, if feasible.
Decisions regarding how and where to build the California high-speed rail system are made and justified by using detailed environmental studies and public comments on the potential environmental impacts of the proposed rail system and routes.
The materials listed under the Documents & Reports section below include studies and reports the Authority has produced to date, along with corresponding public comments received, during the environmental review process of the Bakersfield to Palmdale project section.
The environmental review, consultation, and other actions required by applicable Federal environmental laws for this project are being or have been carried out by the State of California pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated July 23, 2019, and executed by the Federal Railroad Administration and the State of California. Under that MOU, the Authority is the project’s lead agency under NEPA.
- Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section Draft Environmental Impact Report / Environmental Impact Statement (EIR/EIS)
The following documents are available for review upon request. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section Supplemental Alternatives Analysis
- Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section Preliminary Alternatives Analysis
- Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section Scoping Reports
- Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section Notice of Intent/Notice of Preparation
- Project Sections & Stations of the Project Sections & Stations interactive map
- Construction Activities of the Construction Activities interactive map
- Economic Impacts of the Economic Impacts interactive map
- California Traditional Tribal Territories of the California Traditional Tribal Territories interactive map