Project Section Environmental Documents (Tier 2)
Using the programmatic EIR/EISs and first-tier decisions as a foundation, the Authority and FRA continued planning for the high-speed rail system by dividing the statewide HSR system into individual project sections with a station at each end. These project sections have formed the basis for second-tier, project-level planning and environmental documents under CEQA and NEPA to support specific decisions for the HSR system.
California Governor Gavin Newsom and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) Administrator Ronald Batory have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), by which the California High-Speed Rail Authority (Authority) has been assigned FRA’s responsibilities as lead agency under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). Pursuant to Section 327 of Title 23 of the United States Code, effective July 23, 2019 the MOU is authorized under the Surface Transportation Project Delivery Program, otherwise known as NEPA Assignment.
The following second-tier EIR/EIS documents are either in progress or completed:
San Francisco to San Jose Project Section
San Jose to Merced Project Section
Merced to Fresno Project Section
- Merced to Fresno: Final Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement (EIR/EIS)
- Merced to Fresno: Central Valley Wye Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement
- Merced to Fresno: Central Valley Wye Revised Draft Supplemental EIR/Second Draft Supplemental EIS
Fresno to Bakersfield Project Section
- Fresno to Bakersfield: Final Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement (EIR/EIS)
- Fresno to Bakersfield: Locally Generated Alternative Draft & Final Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement (EIR/EIS)
Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section
Burbank to Los Angeles Project Section